Sunday, July 24, 2011

green pilau with cashews.





I was browsing through my Vegetarian: Tasty Recipes for Every Day book one day because you know, I wanted to try something new. I had passed by this recipe a couple times because the cooking time is pretty long and I'm not usually that patient. This particular day though, I did have time, so I decided to go ahead and make it.


the recipe
serves 6
200 g baby english spinach
2/3 cup cashew nuts, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups long-grain brown rice
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley


1. Preheat the oven to moderate (350 F). Shred the English spinach leaves.
2. Place the cashew nuts on a baking tray and roast for 5-10 minutes, or until golden brown--watch carefully.
3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the spring onion over medium for 2 minutes, or until soft. Add the rice, garlic and fennel seeds and cook, stirring frequently, for 1-2 minutes, or until the rice is evenly coated. Increase the heat to high, add the lemon juice, stock and 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Reduce to low, cover and cook for 45 minutes without lifting the lid.
4. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with the spinach and herbs. Leave, covered, for 8 minutes, then fork the spinach and herbs through the rice. Serve sprinkled with cashews.


substitutions
Okay, I had a couple for this one. I use frozen spinach instead of fresh pretty much always, including in this recipe. I can just never seem to go through fresh quickly enough. I also used regular brown rice instead of long-grain. I don't have fennel seeds, so I didn't use those. I also used dry parsley instead of fresh.


Also, this isn't really relevant to the recipe, but neither of my frying pans came with lids. I had to place one of my large dinner plates over the pan while it was simmering. Kind of funny.


great with
Morningstar Farms Chicken Pattie. I probably sound like I turn to those often. It's probably because I do. I love them.


the review
Okay, for starters, this recipe definitely involves a time commitment. That is automatically a downside, since I know I personally do not always (or ever) have an hour and a half to devote to cooking something. I think a lot of people are probably the same way. Regardless, this recipe is very good. It has an excellent flavor to it, though it was perhaps a little bit salty. I think I'll pare down on the vegetable stock next time, or maybe eliminate the teaspoon of salt. I believe that's where the problem was. Really though, this is very good and if you ever have the time, I think it's worth the time spent making it.

No comments:

Post a Comment