Sunday, February 16, 2014

Apple Walnut Cheddar Pizza



I've become quite a fan of the apple/cheddar combination. While I was in Boston over the summer, I had this combination in a delicious omelette. Upon returning home, I decided to put some apple slices and cheddar in a grilled cheese sandwich (which was delicious, by the way). So knowing that these two flavors work so well together, I decided to embark on the journey to bring them together on a pizza.

I did some experimenting with this pizza before I decided on something that works well. What resulted is a pizza that I've really come to enjoy. I took some cues from other pizzas I've had that use a fruit, cheese, and nut combination. This pizza ended up as a tasty and unique flavor that is different and unexpected for a pizza. Since this recipe came as a result of experimenting, please excuse the very informal measurements.

This pizza can be made on any pizza dough, though I'm a big fan of making dough at home. I can't take credit for the dough recipe that I use, though. That comes from A Couple Cooks. You can get that recipe here.

Recipe
1 batch of pizza dough
2 tablespoons of honey
1 apple
1 teaspoon lemon juice
cinnamon
black pepper
1 cup cheddar cheese
handful of walnuts

1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Stretch out the pizza dough on a baking sheet.

2. Put the honey into a bowl and warm up in the microwave for about 20 seconds so it's runnier and spreads out easier. Brush the honey onto the pizza dough. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top.

3. Core an apple and cut into thin slices. Mix the apple slices with the lemon juice, cinnamon and black pepper. Arrange the apple slices on top of the cheese.

4. Crush up a handful of walnuts and sprinkle on top of the pizza.

5. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the crust is lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment