Thursday, April 21, 2011

garlic, chick-pea and spinach soup.



Supposedly, it's spring. Therefore, soup would be considered somewhat anti-seasonal. However, I'm not entirely convinced that it's spring, considering that it's still been very cold in good old Cleveland, Ohio. So warm up a little bit with one of my new favorite soups, once again from The Best-Ever Vegetarian Cookbook

the recipe
serves 4
2 tbsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
5 cups vegetable stock
12 oz potatoes, peeled and finely chopped
15 oz can chick-peas, drained
1 tbsp cornflour
2/3 cup double cream
2 tbsp light tahini
7 oz spinach, shredded
cayenne pepper
salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the garlic and onion for 5 minutes, or until they are softened and golden brown
2. Stir in the cumin and coriander and cook for a further minute.
3. Pour in the stock and add the chopped potatoes to the pan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the chick-peas and simmer for a further 5 minutes, or until the potatoes and chick-peas are just tender.
4. Blend together and cornflour, cream, tahini and plenty of seasoning. Stir into the soup with the spinach. Bring to a boil, stirring, and simmer for a further 2 minutes. Season with cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Service immediately, sprinkled with a little cayenne pepper.

substitutions
I use regular white flour for the cornflour, and have also substituted milk for the double cream. All works the same. I also want to point out that I usually cut this recipe in half, as it makes quite a bit, and I'm usually only cooking for myself. 

great with
This stands really well on its own. I usually like dipping something into my soup, so I'll usually toast some whole-grain bread and add some butter and garlic powder onto it. If I'm having it leftover for lunch the next day, I'll pack it up with a handful of Wheat Thins.

the review
This is a delicious and filling soup that I absolutely love. I've never cooked with cumin or coriander before this recipe, and now, I really love both of them. This soup has an excellent flavor and several healthy ingredients to feel good about eating. I made this several times in the winter months, including for some dinner guests, and everyone enjoyed it. Soup has turned into one of my very favorite things to make, and this particular soup has become a stand-out.

No comments:

Post a Comment