Sunday, April 3, 2011

frittata with sun-dried tomatoes.



Once again, I bring you another fantastic recipe from The Best-Ever Vegetarian Cookbook. It really is the best-ever cookbook, and this recipe has quickly become one of my favorites.

the recipe
serves 3-4
6 sun-dried tomatoes, dry or in oil and drained
4 tbsp olive oil
pinch of fresh thyme leaves
6 eggs
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Place the tomatoes in a small bowl and pour on enough hot water to just cover them. Soak for about 15 minutes. Lift the tomatoes out of the water and slice them into thin strips. Reserve soaking water.
2. Heat the oil in a large non-stick or heavy frying pan. Stir in the onion and cook for 5-6 minutes or until soft and golden. Add the tomatoes and thyme and continue to stir over moderate heat for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Break the eggs into a bowl and beat lightly with a fork. Stir in 3-4 tbsp of the tomato soaking water and the grated Parmesan cheese.
4. Raise the heat under the pan. When the oil in sizzling, pour in the eggs. Mix them quickly into the other ingredients and stop stirring. Lower the heat to moderate and cook for 4-5 minutes on the first side, or until the frittata is puffed and golden brown underneath.
5. Take a large plate, place is upside down over the pan and, holding it firmly with oven gloves, turn the pan and the frittata over on to it. Slide the frittata back into the pan and continue cooking until golden brown on the second side, 3-4 minutes more. Remove from the heat. The frittata can be served hot, at room temperature or cold. Cut into wedges to serve.

substitutions
I don't usually have thyme leaves, so I use a little bit of oregano instead. Also, I usually make this recipe a little smaller, usually using 3-4 eggs, and adjusting the rest of the items accordingly.

great with
Honestly, this is something that is pretty filling, so it can stand pretty well on its own, depending on what size frittata you make. I sometimes just have a salad or some snap peas with it.

the review
This...is so good. Seriously, I cannot emphasize how good it is. It's filling and hearty, and the sun-dried tomatoes, onions and cheese are just such a great combination. I will warn you that flipping the frittata can be a little messy--I usually have some egg on the flipping plate, but I'm not concerned, because the picture in the book does too. This recipe is in the "light lunches" section of the cookbook, but I make it for dinner all the time. It also makes fantastic leftovers--I'm the envy of my co-workers when I have it for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment