Sunday, April 10, 2011

meatless meatballs.



I come from a very Italian family which means that every Sunday, it's pasta for dinner. This is a tradition that I kept up when I was away at college, and that I now continue on my own. I love pasta, but really, what's pasta without meatballs? Well, for a vegetarian that can be a difficult thing, but luckily, my mom has this incredible recipe for meatless meatballs. They're truly amazing. 

I was recently telling some of my coworkers about this recipe and they didn't believe that they could be a suitable substitute for a real meatball. My dad's not a vegetarian, but he absolutely loves these and says you'd never know the difference from a real meatball. I made this recipe and brought it into my coworkers to share and sure enough, they agreed. I hope you do too.

the recipe
1 cup ground nuts (walnuts work well)
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
2 whole eggs plus one egg white
1 small onion chopped fine
oil for frying
salt, pepper, parsley, and oregano to taste
tomato sauce

Put the nuts and onions in a food processor and make sure they are well blended. Put in bowl and add additional ingredients and mix well. Form into balls and fry in oil in frying pan. After meatless balls are browned, put in sauce and simmer for half an hour. 

substitutions
I don't actually have any for this recipe. I think that's a first.

great with
Pasta, of course! I usually start with a salad and then serve the meatballs over penne with a five cheese sauce. Delicious.

the review
Amazing, quite simply. I've grown up on this recipe and I love it. Having never actually consumed a real meatball (seriously) I can't compare this recipe to the real thing, but I hear that the texture and taste is quite similar to a real meatball. This recipe is sure to be a big hit with anyone. Give it a try and see for yourself.

2 comments:

  1. wow, I'm excited about these! Gonna try them! I bet my kids will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're great! I hope you and your family enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete